Sewing our Sanity

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Once Upon a Shirt

This week on Project Run and Play is Earth Day Challenge - to make something upcycled from all natural fabrics. I have had this men's XL cotton orange shirt for a while, having bought it a couple of years ago intending to make a dress for Caroline out of it.


I have seen a few dresses made from men's shirts on different blogs but wanted to do something a little different. I wanted one with a more defined waist - I am not a big fan of the tent dress or no-waist dress.
I cut the sleeves off and cut two rectangles from the body of the shirt, leaving the button placket in place, and sewed the rectangles up the sides. I made a band the width of Caroline's chest and gathered the top of the rectangle to fit the band. I made a casing for elastic just above her waist and sewed that on the outside. I made two straps with button holes on each end and sewed buttons to the band of the dress. She loved it and wore it the rest of the day, even though it was a little chilly for no sleeves. (Of course, this is the little girl who spent most of last winter, when she was three, in princess dresses with no sleeves and nothing on her legs. I told her constantly to put on more clothes. She said that when she grows up, she is going to live in a castle and only wear dresses and nothing on her arms and legs.)
Gabe wanted to get in the photo shoot. In the first picture he is saying "that dress is gorgeous!" (actually, he had just looked up at the sun).

Notice the bunnies in all the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment