Sewing our Sanity

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Fun with Ivory Soap

Dear Monica,

We are finally all on the mend and I feel ready to get back to sewing and crafting.  But since I spent a day or so in bed with an awful virus and neglected the wee ones (Sam was a HUGE help, couldn't have been sick without him) I decided that I would play with my kids first.  So we had some fun with Ivory soap.

Did you know that you can put a bar of Ivory soap in the microwave and it becomes this?


Pretty cool, huh? I would really like to know who figured this out.

Ivory soap is super cheap (about $0.25 a bar) and a fresh bar works best, I am told. I put a piece of parchment paper on the bottom of the microwave and placed the bar on top. 


I turned the turn table off and we watched the bar turn into a soap cloud.  Then the kids pulled it apart and crushed it up into soap flakes. 




Then I added a tiny bit of warm water and some food coloring and stirred it all up.  (On Our Best Bites she put hers in a food processor and made it really smooth and I will probably do this next time.) Then the kids pressed the soap into cookie cutters to make little soaps for the bath tub. 


A very fun activity.  I think next time we make a soap cloud we will play with it in the baby pool outside.  Then I can just "hose them off" as Dad would say!

xoxo

Emily




1 comment: