Sewing our Sanity

Friday, October 5, 2012

Haunted House

Dear Monica,

It is finally October and time to decorate for Halloween.  We have to have lots and lots of skeletons, and haunted houses, and jack-o-lanterns, according to Jack.  He loves to go to all the stores and browse through their selection of Halloween goods.  He particularly loves the skeletons (I think he may be an orthopedic surgeon one day). But as we were looking over the items in Target the other day, he asked if we had any haunted houses.  Well, I didn't have any haunted houses and Jack was a little annoyed that I didn't have any.  So I went to Michael's and used my 40% off coupon to buy this bird house for about $5.


I cut the perch off and sanded it down a bit, but you don't have to do this.  I also sanded up the rough edges to remove all the splintery pieces of wood.  Then I spray painted it with flat black paint, since that is what I had on hand. 


And Voila!  A Haunted House for Jack.  I found the little skeletons at Michael's also marked down to $1.00.  I think I need to go back and get a few more different bird houses and make a village of haunted houses.  They would look awesome on a mantel with little tea lights in them.  

XOXO

Emily

3 comments:

  1. Love this idea!!! I might steal it. Maybe I should make my key chains first...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! This one only takes about 5 minutes. Much less time than the key chain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year for our Halloween decorations, I painted the birdhouse my son made at scouts with flat black spray paint too... then I displayed it with a rubber snake coming out the hole and a fake tarantula on top. All stuff I had on hand; Yay!

    ReplyDelete