Sewing our Sanity

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Pin Tuck Skirt

Dear Monica,

Wow!  We haven't posted anything since Thanksgiving.  I have been absolutely busy and I know you have too.  I spent so much of December as one of Santa's little elves and then most of January was spent getting the house back in order after all the hustle and bustle of the holidays and settling back into a routine.

Now that things are settling down, I have had some time to sew.  And I am going to sew for myself!

A while ago, I bought myself a copy of Gertie's New Book For Better Sewing.


It is full of lovely vintage inspired patterns and wonderful tips and techniques to sew yourself some very beautiful clothing.  Gertie also gives you some ideas for how to modify the patterns to put your own style into each design.  I started off my new wardrobe with a skirt.  I followed Gertie's directions for modifying a pencil skirt and adding pin tucks.


I love how it came together and I really enjoyed getting to try out some different things.    Like boning!  I sewed Rigilene boning to some hair canvas so that the waistband would stay put.  I wish I had a dress form to put it on so that I could take some detailed pictures for you.  I lined it with some blue polyester lining and used blue hem tape for an added bit of fun.  I got the pin tuck foot set for my Janome and sewed 7 rows of pin tucks at the hem.  It fits perfectly!  Gertie gives wonderful directions and advice for fitting patterns and tailoring to get the perfect fit.  I think I have been avoiding making things for myself because they never really fit.  But not anymore.  I have purchased some lovely fabrics for myself with the plans to make a few dresses and other pieces for my new wardrobe.


XOXO
Emily





No comments:

Post a Comment