Sewing our Sanity

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Raspberry Kisses, Gluten Free Meringues!

Dear Emily,

It really has been a long time! I love your skirt. I looked at that book,  Gertie's New Book For Better Sewing, and it looks like a great source. I am interested to see what else you make.


Remember these? Raspberry Kisses. So easy to make but way too delicious so I don't make them often.We had company for dinner, one of whom happens to eat gluten free. These meringues were a perfect ending to dinner tonight.

All you need is this

 eggs, cream of tartar, sugar, raspberry gelatin, vinegar, and chocolate chips
(the complete recipe is at the end)


 Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until the whites are foamy. I beat them a little more than necessary, they are nearly to the "soft white peak" stage.


 Next, beat in the sugar and gelatin. Beat until the sugar is disolved and the mixture forms stiff peaks.


 Stir in the chocolate chips.

 Well, more like fold in the chips.

 I used a cookie scoop and placed the blobs four to a row on my baking pan. They do not rise or spread out so there is no need to space them any farther apart.

Bake at 250 for 30-35 minutes.







Raspberry Kisses
3 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons raspberry gelatin
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup chocolate chips

Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Mix the sugar and gelatin and gradually add to egg whites, beating until sugar is disolved and stiff peaks form. (I have never been able to get the sugar to disolve completely and they always turn out fine) Beat in the vinegar and fold in the chips.

Drop by teaspoons onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, such as a Silpat. They will not rise or spread out so they do not have to be spaced too far apart.

Bake at 250 for 30-35 minutes. They will be a little moist on the inside, if you prefer them drier, leave them in the oven a little longer but watch that they do not start to turn brown. Store in an airtight container.

We have always wondered how they would taste with other flavors of gelatin...orange? Orange and chocolate are great together. Strawberry? Great with chocolate, too. Grape? No. Lime? Yuck. Lemon? That might be good.

XOXO,
Monica

2 comments:

  1. YUM!! One of my favorite desserts/treats. And I am so glad you posted the recipe because mine are never quite right and now I know why. The cream of tarter was left off my recipe card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make these all the time, Monica! Thanks for the reminder and the tutorial. Yours look a lot better than mine ever did. Hoping E outgrows his egg allergy soon so we can enjoy these again.

    I have also wondered about other flavors. But I think I'll stick with raspberry. :)

    ReplyDelete