Sewing our Sanity

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hard Boiled Eggs in the Oven. Seriously.

Have I mentioned how much I love Pinterest? If you don't know what it is - it is like a virtual bulletin board for "pinning" recipes, pictures, tutorials, etc. of ideas you see on the 'net that you would like to have, try, or make. It is like bookmarking a site but tons easier. Or clipping things from magazines or newspapers without  cluttering up the counter or having to file them away somewhere. I have pinned so many things that I do not think I will ever get around to trying all of them - there are so many amazing ideas out there. And recipes. And tutorials. And things I must have. So today I decided I would try out one of my "pins."

Yesterday while browsing Pinterest, I saw someone had pinned instructions on how to make hard boiled eggs in the oven. Hard boiled eggs really are a no-brainer but there are several steps involved - boil, cover, let sit for 15 minutes or so, then cool. This new-to-me method just requires putting the eggs in the oven and forgetting about them for 30 minutes.  We have a ton of eggs in the fridge because I bought two cartons of 18 at Costco the other day not remembering that my husband had also bought two cartons of 18 at BJs. If this experiment didn't work, we'd be OK loosing a few eggs. 


Place the eggs in a muffin tin - I used a mini muffin tin, but the regular size works fine, too. The recommended temperature is 325 or 350, depending on your oven, and the post I read suggested doing a test egg. I really didn't have the time and I certainly had the eggs so I baked a dozen at 340. The recommended time is 25 - 30 minutes and I think I left mine in for about 27. The whole things was totally unscientific on my part.


The above picture was taken just before I took them out. I checked on them halfway fearing I would find the eggs had popped open and dripped all over the oven. I don't know why I was afraid that would happen, its not like I stuck them in the microwave. 


One egg cracked but that also happens sometimes when boiling eggs.




I removed them with tongs and left them in ice water for 10 minutes.


I read that the brown spots would come off in the ice water bath. They didn't. I also read that the eggs would be easier to peel. They weren't. And where the brown spots were on the shell, there were also brown spots on the egg itself. And some were tinged brown. Not pretty for deviled eggs. I did make deviled eggs with some and egg salad with the rest. On the plus side, the yolks were nice and creamy.



I am not sure I would do this again. Maybe I'll try with a couple at 325 for 25 minutes and see if I still get brown spots. For now, I'll stick to using my muffin tins for muffins, cupcakes, and this:

Toddler lunch.


Note the cheese curls are the first thing he ate.

2 comments:

  1. I've used muffin tins (mini or regular) along with a custard cup full of frozen mixed veggies to keep my young 'uns busy while I fix dinner. Fine motor, sorting, and concentration skills, plus veggies and an appetizer ... all rolled into one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! A huge jar of buttons and a couple of muffin tins always keeps all three busy for at least an hour. I'll have to try the mixed veggies.

    ReplyDelete