Sewing our Sanity

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Silhouette Subway Art


I know I mentioned this before but I can not say it enough - I love my Silhouette Cameo (and my husband even more for getting me one for Christmas). Subway art is all over Pinterest now and I wanted to make some of my own. It was so easy to design it on the Silhouette software - much easier than cutting all the letters out with an Xacto knife. For those of you who don't know what a Silhouette is, it is an electronic cutting tool, similar to the Cricut, but without the cartridges. It connects to the computer so you can download designs from the Silhouette library for .99 each or design your own. The design your own feature totally sold me on it, that and that it can also cut fabric making appliqué super easy.



  
 For the subway art, I wanted to do something for each of the kids using words and phrases that are special to them right now. I painted my 12" x 16" canvas combining and blending several colors. I first tried to use the stencil vinyl that Silhouette sells but it would not stick to the painted canvas. I think if I had used wood rather than canvas it would have adhered better. I used card stock instead, spraying a repositionable spray on the back so it would stick a little while I stenciled. I did have to stick the centers of letters like a, b, d, p, etc, on one at a time. Stenciling went pretty quickly. Because the card stock did not stick tight, there was a little bit of bleeding under the edges so the letters are not crisply defined. It was a happy accident - I am pleased with the look.








I learned a big lesson with this project (besides finding my way around the Silhoette software). Do not leave things within the reach of a two year old. If it goes on the wall - for heaven sakes, hang it up. Gabe drew all over his with a crayon. I am thrilled that Gabe is so into drawing lately - especially since I am a former art teacher. He has been drawing tiny circles and calling them "eggs." And drawing on the kitchen floor with dry erase markers and blaming it on Grandma. Thank goodness it was his and not Anthony's or Caroline's. 



Everyone was thrilled when I hung theirs above each of their beds. I can think of more subway signs to make but the next time I will try it on wood. And hang it up right away. 

1 comment:

  1. I love these Monica! Especially Gabe's little contribution to his.

    ReplyDelete