Sewing our Sanity

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Homemade Pizza Sauce

Dear Emily,

When I asked Anthony what he wanted for his birthday dinner, he said homemade pizza. I've benn making homemade pizza dough for years in my Cuisinart food processor. It is probably what I use it for the most. Here is the recipe:
 

 Ingredients

            1 package active dry yeast 
            1 teaspoon granulated sugar 
            2/3 cup warm water (105 to 115°F.)
            1 2/3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
             ¾ teaspoons table salt
              ¾ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil

Instructions

In a 2-cup liquid measure, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Insert metal blade in work bowl and add flour and salt. 
With machine running, pour liquid through small feed tube as fast as flour absorbs it. Process until dough cleans sides of work bowl and forms a ball. Then process for 30 seconds to knead dough. Dough may be slightly sticky. Coat dough evenly with olive oil; transfer to a plastic food storage bag and seal the top. Let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes. 
Place dough on a lightly floured surface and punch down. Roll into desired crust sizes and place on baking pans lightly sprayed with vegetable oil cooking spray. Follow with a pizza recipe.
                                                                                                          From cuisinart.com
To top it, I always use a jarred pizza sauce, along with mozzerela and pepperoni. I had no pizza sauce this time so I decided to make my own. And make extra to freeze.
My recipe:
2 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes
1 12 oz can of tomato past
1 cup water
1 tbsp sugar
two cloves of garlic, minced (or more)
1 bay leaf
basil, oregeno, thyme (I have fresh basil and oregeno so I used 1/4 cup of each. A total guess. When I use fresh herbs, I will use more or less what the recipe calls for. Less if I am tired of cutting it. Chopping fresh herbs is not my favorite thing. 


I really wish I had one of these:
[Mom - bring me one the next time you go to Alaska]
Anyway, I digress...
I just simmered everything for an hour or so. I used 2 cups on the pizza and packaged the rest in freezer bags for later. 
 Yummy pizza and super easy birthday dinner!


Happy 7th Birthday Anthony! (the fishing theme cake he requested because he was asking for a fishing pole for his birthday. Much easier than the bulldozer cake I made when he was three!)
xoxo
Monica




No comments:

Post a Comment