Sewing our Sanity

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Quilts

Dear Monica,

I can't wait to see the kids' rooms when you are finished!  Especially the purple wall in the boys' room.

I have a few ideas for some quilts that would be quick and fun to make.

These quilts that I made for my boys' did not take very long to piece and I love how they turned out.  This pattern would be great if you have a specific fabric line you want to showcase and don't quite know how to pull it all together. (I have the pattern some where I just can't put my hands on it at the moment.)

When Jack was born, Mom gave me some adorable Pirate fabric by Timeless Treasures.  She gave me a yard each of 9 different fabrics.  They were all so cute but I just didn't know how to put them all together until I found the pattern I used.  It show cases each of the prints and I love the pieced border.

I started on Liam's when Jack was 8 weeks old.  He was such a good baby and sat in his bouncy seat while I cut and pieced the quilt top.



After I sandwiched the quilt I quilted the whole thing on my Bernina 1630.  It took FOREVER!  I painstakingly designed my own free motion designs to quilt in each square and I really love how they turned out.



Apparently it took me about 10 months to complete the whole thing because this is the first picture I took of it completed and on his bed. Look how little my big boys were!  


This is Jack's quilt.  I reversed the border on his, so the red would be wider.  That way the quilts wouldn't be exactly the same.  I also quilted his on Mom's longarm in a meandering path which made it super fast to finish. 


Another great choice would be a stack and whack quilt like this one I made for our bedroom 7 years ago.  


 I had such a good time making this one.  All you do is stack up your fabric, place the template on top, and cut the fabric.  It took me about 30 minutes to cut all the pieces for this quilt. Then you rearrange the pieces in each stack and then piece each square.  I have 5 different stack and whack patterns and one of them is a star. You could do purple and grey batiks.

xoxo

Emily





No comments:

Post a Comment