Sewing our Sanity

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Painting Furniture

Dear Emily,

Seems like several people I know are stuck with what kind of paint to use for repainting furniture. Or what color, or in your case, how to incorporate two colors. I love your china cabinet - it has so much potential.




I can see why you are stuck. I know you want to use Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Duck Egg Blue and Old White as an accent. And that you don't want it to be distressed. I scoured the internet for ideas.

Finding Silver Pennies
Hartwood Roses
Restore Interiors
(I love the frame in the photo above, too. Might just have to make one, too.)

I suggest you do some colored sketches first. I know you want the Duck Egg to be the primary color. Maybe accent the bamboo trim on the doors, the inner most trim on the lower doors and hardware in the Old White. At first I thought to just paint the hardware the blue, but the more I think about it, the more I think you should paint it in Old White to contrast with the blue. It would give the cabinet a great Wedgewood look. ASCP needs to be waxed with clear wax and a dark wax can be added to give an antiqued look. If you go for the Wedgewood look, I suggest you use just the clear and skip the dark. But then again, the piece in the first picture has dark wax on it. I can't wait to see the final results!

Tomorrow, more furniture painting ideas...making your own chalk paint, painting unfinished furniture, painting kitchen cabinets.

xoxoxo
Monica



1 comment:

  1. So many choices! But I think I have it now! I can't wait to start painting...if only it would stop raining so the kids can play outside while I paint.

    ReplyDelete