Sewing our Sanity

Friday, August 31, 2012

Tutorial: Daddy's t-shirt to Baby's romper

Dear Monica,

Sam had a Curious George t-shirt that he used to wear quite often.



Then it got a hole in the arm seam and landed in my repair pile.  A quick and easy fix but some how I never got around to it and it got pushed to the bottom of the pile and forgotten.  I was tidying up me sewing shelves and found it and knew it would be perfect for a project I had seen on Pinterest.

Heather from Feather's Flights up-cycled some t-shirts into shortalls.  They are super cute and she has a free pattern.  I wanted to do something similar for Mikey, but with a few changes.  I could have used her pattern but opted to make my own and made Mikey this super cute romper.


First, let's cut the pieces.  

1.  Using one of Mikey's rompers (one of my favorite for fit and cuteness...and one that has been worn by all the boys) I laid it on the front of the t-shirt placing it just where I wanted the Curious George graphic to be.  Then I cut around the edges giving myself about a 1/2" seam allowance.  I chose to use the t-shirts existing neckline but you don't have to do that.




2.  The back is two pieces, so I laid the existing romper on the folded back of the fabric and cut both pieces at the same time.



3.  I wanted this to be short sleeved, instead of long sleeved like the brown romper so I used another shirt to get the right length and cut two sleeves using the existing hem of the t-shirt's sleeves.


4.  Then I cut this funny "U" shaped piece that reinforces the crotch. I also cut two straight pieces the length of the back pant leg from hem to crotch.  These will reinforce the back crotch.


5.  And two pieces for the hood.  I think hoods are so cute on kid's clothes.


Now that all the pieces are cut, let's start the fun.  Sewing!!

6.  I started with the hood.  I sewed the back curved edge and serged the finished seam (not necessary but gives it a finished look). Then I serged the front and folded the edge over and stitched it in place.  


7.  Next, sew the back seam.  Marked with a white line. And serge the edges.


8.  With right sides facing, sew the front and back together at shoulder seams. Serge the seams. 


9.  Sew the hood on, lining the seams up. Serge the seams.


I top stitched close the edge to make the seam allowance lay flat.


10.  With right sides together, pin the middle of the sleeve to the shoulder seams.  Pin the sleeve in place and sew.  Finish edges.  


11.  Right sides together, sew the bottom arm and side seams.  Finish edges.  


12.  Pin the "U" shaped piece, right sides together to the front crotch area.  Sew seam, turn to back, and press with an iron.  Sew the piece in place.


13.  Sew the two straight pieces right sides together.  Match the seam with the back crotch seam and sew in place.  Turn it to the back and press with and iron.  Sew in place.  


14.  Add snaps or buttons to the legs and done!  



Cutie Pie!  


XOXO

Emily








































1 comment:

  1. Every parent's favorite go-to outfit for their bundle of joy – the Baby Romper, a delightful blend of comfort and cuteness!

    ReplyDelete