Sewing our Sanity

Friday, April 20, 2012

Floral Skort and Tee

So excited to be sending photos of this skort and top to Project Run and Play! This week's theme was sports wear and here is what I did for the sew along:

I have been picking up a yard of this and half a yard of that fabric for a couple of years, usually not knowing what I am going to make with it but knowing (hoping) I'll come up with something.. This skirt fabric had been sitting in my stash for about two years. Caroline had a plain pink tee that needed some embellishment and a skirt. This fabric fit the bill perfectly.

 The tee had a tiny pocket that I removed. I wish I had a picture but it was really tiny. Like only big enough for a peppermint candy and that's it. I found some coordinating fabrics in my stash for the flowers. I ironed some fusible interfacing to the fabric and used my Silhouette Cameo to cut the flowers and leaves. I cut all the shapes out in black also, slightly larger, ironed them on and stitched around the flowers with a straight stitch. I added buttons for centers - the kids had a good time helping pick out the buttons. And sorting them in muffin cups. And dropping them on the floor (Gabe). I gave up keeping the organized by color a long time ago. Did you know that a big jar of buttons and a couple of muffin tins can keep your kids busy for at least an hour, if not more?


The skort was super simple. I made a pair of shorts from a commercial pattern I already had but did not finish the waist band. I made the skirt from this tutorial on Make It and Love It but again did not finish the waist band. I sewed the two together at the waist, tucked the shorts into the skirt, stitched a seam an inch from the top to make casing for elastic and ta da! its a skort! 
I'll take a picture of my girl wearing it later and post it. 

-Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment